About VET in Schools
The Department of Training and Workforce Development works with the education systems and sector, School Curriculum and Standards Authority and industry to support the delivery of quality VET in Schools programs in Western Australian schools.
VET in Schools programs enable secondary students to undertake a nationally recognised VET qualification while completing their senior secondary certificate.
Students receive vocational training reflecting specific industry competency standards and delivered by a registered training organisation (RTO) or a school in partnership with an RTO.
VET in Schools programs allow students to:
- develop industry specific skills;
- gain nationally recognised VET qualifications and units of competency while still completing their senior secondary school qualification;
- develop employability skills; and
- gain an understanding of the world of work which is valuable experience to assist with planning and pursuing their career pathways.
Strategic directions for VET in Schools
The Joint Ministerial Statement on VET in Schools establishes a clear strategic direction for VET in Schools and affirms its importance as a valuable pathway for senior secondary students.
VET in Schools critical success factors
Five critical success factors underpin successful VET in Schools:
- Leadership, continuity and partnerships
- Student cohort and parent liaison
- Vision, place and configuration
- Course content, structure and evaluation
The VET in Schools Guidelines:
- support the implementation of the Joint Ministerial Statement on VET in Schools; and
- provide the operational framework for the delivery of VET in Schools programs in Western Australia.
These VET in Schools Guidelines replace the Department of Education Vocational Education and Training for School Students policy.
School Curriculum and Standards Authority
The School Curriculum and Standards Authority (SCSA) has specific requirements for VET in Schools programs. For more information about eligibility requirements visit the SCSA website here.
Education systems and sector
Information and resources on this site are for use across all education systems and sector.
The Department of Education, Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia and Catholic Education Office of Western Australia each have specific VET in Schools information, resources and policies available. For more information contact the relevant system or sector:
- Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia (Inc)
- Catholic Education Office of Western Australia
- WA Department of Education